Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Vacation Time, Ya'll

Earlier this month, I went on a quick trip to Iowa. The response I got from most people was, "Why the heck are you going to Iowa?" and "Where is Iowa?" and "What's an Iowa?".

Needless to say, most Oregonians spend the majority of their life completely clueless to the fact that Iowa even exists, let alone ever visit there. However, since that is the land that produced my family, I have visited there many times. I know by now what to expect from Iowa: corn fields, chiggers, locusts, humidity and good times. But this time, I went to the city. Iowa City, that is. And it was a whole new experience. There were still locusts and humidity and good times, but no corn fields and NO chiggers! PRAISE THE LORD!

I went for the baptism of my little cousin, Sophia. I'm one of her godparents.


She is absolutely adorable and only cried 9 out of the 10 times I held her.

Here are her parents, and my uncle and new aunt, Matt & Ping:



Did I mention I have a giant family? Oh, well I do. My mom is number 5 of 7 kids and so I've got a whole lot of cousins and aunts and uncles. On this trip I also got to see my Uncle Mark & Aunt Sue, and my cousin Anne.



Other than Mark & Sue, I hadn't seen my family in twelve years. But the great thing about my family is that it doesn't matter if it's been 12 years or 30 years. You just pick up where you left off. And you eat corn. Lots and lots of mouth watering corn on the cob.

Mmmm....hang on a sec.

Mmmm........yummy......yum...

Okay, I'm back. Sorry about that.

It was such a great trip and I had a blast. Even though I am not at all a country girl, I love Iowa becomes my family comes from there, and in a strange way it reminds me of home.




And corn. Yum......

No comments: