Thursday, September 18, 2008

Dad


Today is my dad's 59th birthday. That, in and of itself, is a crazy fact. Somehow my dad has stayed a solid 40 years old in my mind, until today when I actually did the math. He is an amazing husband and father and I have learned so much from him. Here are a few things:

  • How to change a tire. He wouldn't let me drive my car until I'd changed my tire 5 times. Turned out to be helpful...many, many times.
  • How to build a house. Namely, my house. Okay, so maybe not the whole house. Okay, so he just let me help. Okay, so I mostly watched. Okay, I suck. Sorry, dad.
  • How to work hard. My parents are the hardest workers I know.
  • How to ride a horse.
  • How to manage thick, curly hair. I got it from him and he's got a rockin' fro!
My relationship with my dad wasn't the greatest in my teen years, probably because we're very alike! We're both passionate and opinionated...even to our detriment. And we both stand up for what we believe in. Oh and did I mention I was a jerk in high school? Anyway, last year my dad was rushed to the hospital for emergency surgery. It's funny how moments like that can strip away all frills and seeming importance and boil a relationship down to one thing: I love my dad. I love him with all my heart. I love that he's a die hard Raiders fan. I love that he loves my mom. I love that he cried at my brother's wedding. I love the way he eats popcorn. I love my dad.

Dad, I know you don't read my blog (what???). But mom does. And when she prints this out and reads it to you, I hope you know how very much I love you. And if I could wish anything for you today...it would be that you would get the big cup. (Long story...)

Happy Birthday, Dad!

___________________________________________

P.S. This is my 50th post! Yay me!

No comments: