Wednesday, April 30, 2008

As It Is In Heaven

When Jesus' disciples asked Him how to pray, He responded with what we call The Lord's Prayer. Growing up in the Lutheran church, I had it memorized by age 5 and we would say it aloud every Sunday. And even though I know it by heart and have said it thousands of times, I feel like I'm just now beginning to understand little pieces of it. For those of you who don't know it by heart, here it is:

Our Father, who art in Heaven
Hallowed be Thy name.
Thy Kingdom come
Thy will be done
On earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread
And forgive us our trespasses
As we forgive those who trespass against us.
Lead us not into temptation
But deliver us from evil.
For Thine is the Kingdom
And the power
And the glory
Forever and ever. Amen.

The past few months I've thought a lot about suffering. After reading The Shack by William Young (which is still, DAILY, blowing my mind), I've wondered about tragedy, and seeing Jesus through it all. Not just ignoring it, but in the moment - in that most desperate situation, knowing the love of God that is most certainly not absent. Then, that phrase was whispered in my mind: As it is in Heaven... And it began to click. Now when I say click, I mean I haven't even begun to scratch the surface of this revelation! And I can't really put into words what I am seeing and learning and thinking about all this.

So, I gift you with this video. WARNING: I cried like a baby. Have the tissue ready - this video has a cruel twist. I sang this song at our recent Women's Retreat. I hadn't really thought much of the song before, but then I looked up the video just for kicks before I sang it. And...well just watch.



Also, if you want to see a really cute little girl singing the Lord's Prayer, click here! Thanks for reading.

3 comments:

Jezi Bell said...

wow, thats an amazing video. totally cried too. and i stole it for my myspace. love ya.

Cassie said...

both videos are simply amazing.

totally cried.

oh and i like your post about David and Abigail!!!!

Becky said...

I love.

Amazing video... Cutest little girl in the whole stinking world.

haha...